Saturday, June 20, 2009

Cranial molding helmet

Sleeping with Helmet

It has been 3 days since Niel’s cranial-molding-helmet fitting done at the Children Hospital’s Orthotics. The first two days was simply an introductory period where the helmet just needs to be on for two hours and taken off for two hours throughout the day. That first two days went without any dramas. Niel goes about his day and does not seem to notice the new contraption his head.

I was excited, and searched around the internet trying to find ideas on how to “dress up” the helmet. I thought about spray painting it or just draw stars with a permanent marker, but I was worried if the paint would smear at the end and I would regret trying to decorate it. In the end, I think the safest option is to get stickers for it, when I find one.

Niel’s head was wet with sweat; the helmet really does keep the heat in. Niel doesn’t complain, but I feel terrible for wanting him to wear it, the presence of his sweat made it seems uncomfortable.

The Orthotist have advised to take layers of his jackets off during the day, and also reduce the layers of blanket at night when he has his helmet on. He also assured me that soon, Niel’s body will adjust to it and will stop excreting too much sweat from his head. I was wondering how that works, will I be able to fight the winter chills if I am wearing nothing on my body, but sports a massive polar-bear-fleece hat on my head? I am not convinced.

I am unsure on how long this adjustment period is, but based on other mothers’ experience, it may take a few weeks.

After two days of introductory period, the Orthotist examined the red spots on Niel’s scalp caused by the pressure from the helmet. As everything is as it should be, he then prescribed that the helmet is to be worn 23 hours a day.

I take his helmet off for about 10 minutes every hour, to air it out. It is usually soaking with sweat, but by the end of the day, the amount of sweat has greatly reduced. I was glad that perhaps, he’s adjusting really well.

When I put him down for his night time sleep, I have anticipated that we would need to take his helmet off later to wipe dry his head. True enough, two hours later, he woke up crying and I took his helmet off for a few minutes before putting it back on and patting him to sleep again. The helmet is big change to him, so letting him cry it out would be unfair. When he woke up again at midnight, I decided to just keep it off for the rest of the night. Few hours tonight have been an improvement. However, Niel has never been a good sleeper to start with; he would still wake several times even without his helmet. Nevertheless, I still feel bad for wanting him to wear the helmet and go through this.

I hope I am doing this in his best interest. When he goes to school later, his classmates will not tease him for his flat head. Perhaps he will thank me when he is older, because he can then choose any variety of hairstyles, because anything will look good on his nice round head then.

No comments:

Post a Comment