Thursday, September 30, 2010

Dummy


I have been meaning to wean my twin boys off their dummies since they turn 1 year old, but I have delayed again and again as their dummies has saved our sleeps.  They have cut back significantly on their use, and only allowed to have them in their cots.

A few days back, I noticed a tear in one of the dummies, and was worried that they might bite and chew on it and be swallowing bits of rubber.  I don't want to buy them a new pair either.  Perhaps it is now time to try to wean them off their dummies. I'm just going to cut off the bit that is torn.

The plan is to nip the top off gradually over a couple of months until they are unable to gain hold of the dummy in their mouths.  Fingers crossed it will work and they will abandon the dummy by themselves.
I cut off the top of both dummies feeling really anxious of what my come.

Ethan was the first to get the 'fixed' dummy, he took it and oblivious that it has been nipped at the top he popped it in his mouth.  A few seconds later, he pulled it out, examined to make sure that it is his dummy, and popped it back in.  Yet something felt different, he took it back out to examine it, I tried very hard to keep a straight face watching this.  Niel soon asked for his dummy and did the same.
Soon they started to chatter: "dummy broke...dummy broke...broke dummy..."

I hid my wicked laughter and tuck them in their cots.  "Good night, darling" I said, they pop the dummy back into their mouths and slept anyway.   That went well.... looking forward to the next nipping day.

No comments:

Post a Comment