Thursday, May 5, 2011

Mother's Day at Kinder


I can still remember the first day of Kinder for Malakai.  He has been so excited about starting Kinder where he will be a "big boy" and cycling to "school".  He packed his own snack, chose his bag, and rehearsed greeting his teachers by name with a big smile.

His social fear took over as soon as he steps into the glass door that separates the Kinder area.  He clung unto my legs really tight.  His smile replaced by the look of anxiety.  Since toddler, Malakai has never been really good coming into group situation, he would rather leave the toy he loves to play with than having to be around other kids.

Today, he is still far from being a sociable child, he still needs constant encouragement and prompting to greet others; but he have certainly grown, and I am proud of his efforts.  As his mom, it is my job to continue to work very hard to help him with his social skills and confidence - and I am very happy to do so.

One of the very special item I was presented with for Mother's Day is a library bag with his drawing on it.  It is a happy picture of him cycling and me walking behind him.   Something we do together regularly, something he enjoys.  Gone are the frustration of getting him ready to Kinder on time and convincing that a car ride is the better option than cycling in the cold.  

I am really blessed to be part of this journey with him. 
Happy Mother's Day indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment