Friday, June 4, 2010

Carpet Painting


After a sleepless night on the airplane back home, my husband and I are so exhausted that we fell asleep as soon as our heads touch a surface.  Any surface.  In the other room, we can hear Malakai and Ethan happily playing together while Niel is asleep in his cot. 
Just five minutes, we thought.  Before we know it we were both deep asleep and woken by noises of screeching laughter.  Sounds like someone is having too much fun.

 Sure enough, I woke up to find Malakai and Ethan in the bathroom.  Malakai is getting some water in a plastic scoop for Ethan who is carrying a plastic beach bucket.  Both boys are covered with poster paint from head to toe.  In our family room, the tub of art materials is on the floor.  The bottles of poster paint are tipped open and the paints are all over the carpet with brushes and stencil sponges.   I can feel my blood pumping to the tip of head but I can hear Niel crying in his room…. Guilt immediately swept over me. Oh, poor Niel, how long has he been crying helplessly locked in his cot?!

I rushed to his bedroom surprised to find him still in his cot but has a plastic scoop in his hands filled with a mixture of paint and water as well.  Of course, he has spilled some on the bed and on himself as well. 

I was amazed to find myself actually laughing at this.  Maybe my anger was dampened the guilt that I fell asleep on them.  Deep inside I was glad that the boys sure know how to share their fun and joys. 
I hope I still think that this is funny after having to wash the carpet, sheets, and paint covered clothes…

No comments:

Post a Comment