Sunday, May 24, 2009

Benefits of Pressure Cooking

Cooking Under Pressure


When I had Malakai (my first baby), my Mum gave me a pressure cooker as a gift. It was something I was quite familiar with, I’ve seen it sitting on Mum’s stove top many times before. Weird bulky pot, with knobs and buttons; and at times it will blow out so much steam like a dragon complete with hissing sounds. Yup, I am quite familiar with the “Presto”. At the very least, I know to use it to cook cheaper cuts of beef so that it will turn out tender and falling apart with a touch.

I used it once or twice, mainly just for cooking beef rendang or beef cuts for various soups. It is quite a handy contraption to have in the kitchen, but not a necessity. It just sits in the cupboard most of the time, until one day, I started to look into one-pot dishes recipes. Of course I would prefer to have 2 or 3 dishes on the table at any one time, but for convenience sake, a one-pot dish that includes meats and fresh vegetables, would be extremely ideal for our family.

One thing led to another, I start researching on croc-pots, and slow cookers, and finally… the pressure cooker. For the first time, I just learnt that the bulky-steam-spitting-pot, if used properly, can be used to cook crisp vegetables, fruit sauces, puddings, steam-bake cheesecakes, and even defrosting food! I could do all this, and also, a much healthier alternative to microwaves!

The super-heated steam which is produced by high temperatures inside a pressure cooker makes the food cook quickly and intensifies the natural flavors. This allows to use less salt, sugar,and use less costly herbs and seasonings and still get a better taste. Pressure cooking creates an airless environment that retains more nutrients than other cooking methods.

I am so excited. Finally, I discovered the power of the pressure cooker.

There and then, I have decided to start hunting recipes for pressure cooking. I will have the Presto sitting on my stove top at all times, using it at least 3 times a day. I shall begin my quest to be a Master of the Pressure Cooker…


No comments:

Post a Comment