Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Sibling Rivalry


I’ve decided to start writing a blog once a week to document our family’s journey. …ok, maybe once every 2 weeks… or at least once a month. I think it is important to keep track of one’s struggles and successes, it can be encouraging for ourselves to look back upon, and perhaps may encourage our family and friends who wish to know how we are doing.

BACK TO BABY…
Journal entry on Sibling Rivalry

This week, Ethan and Niel have turned 7 months. The two boys only take 10-15 minutes to finish a really big meal, which is a blessing. They actually cry and scream should the food doesn’t reach their mouth by the time they have swallowed the previous spoonful. Feeding both babies at the same time becomes a very difficult feat. I am forced to, by now, to be able to use both my right and left hand at the same time to feed both babies when they are sitting on their high chair, while singing and making funny noises to keep them on their seats.

Ahh.. but I wish it is only that simple. Malakai, now 2.5 years old wants his turn of being fed on the highchair too. He patiently waits his turn to be cajoled and sung to when he refuses to eat. During bath time, Malakai waits for his turn to use the baby bath seat. Something that he have grown out of since a year ago!
It seems that he has taken a step back in time, and wishes to become a baby once more like his brothers. Wishes that he can have the same attention we give to the little babies. Wishes to be praised when he can finish his meal, drink his milk, roll over, or crawl to grab a toy.

How I wish I can comfort him and make him feel secure. How I wish I can make him understand that he doesn’t need to be a baby again, for me to want to spend time with him, to make him smile and laugh. How I wish I can stop the sun from going down too quickly so I can have extra time to cuddle him and assure him that I love him. I wish he knew… I don’t want him to grow up thinking that his mother loves his baby brothers more than him. That is never true. I am a first born too. I understand.










No comments:

Post a Comment