Friday, May 8, 2009

I remembered when my first baby was 10 months old, I was extremely proud and happy being a mother, that I decided to resign from my paid job in anticipation of a planned second pregnancy.

I was elated finding that I was pregnant again not long after, and my second baby will be due before my son’s 2nd birthday, an age gap I consider ideal. They would be able to grow together really close, share a wardrobe, and being the best of friends. At the 20 weeks ultrasound scan, I was in complete surprise to find that I was expecting twins.

As a mother of 3 beautiful boys, I have been happy and contented resigning from my paid employment to staying at home to look after them while my husband goes to work full-time.
Living on a single income with a mortgage has been extremely tight, but doable. For the past two and a half years, I have collected all sorts of tricks up my sleeves to save on household budget. Recycling, and using kitchen ingredients for cleaning. Buying all our snacks and juices in big containers and split them up into smaller, more appealing containers to our little boy. I have not bought any clothes for myself. Apart from gifts, my children wear hand-me-downs.



Having a fun day out on a budget is very tricky with a little toddler and twin babies. I have to always make sure to pack enough food, snacks, and beverages every time and get creative with the way they are presented in order to avoid extra spending.


During recession time like now, it is extra tough. There seems to always be an unbudgeted emergency expense that comes up now and then. Having the twins means that we have to upgrade our car to fit three car seats. Unbudgeted expense indeed! There are of course the less expensive ones, but nevertheless, still annoying. Our vacuum cleaner had just busted and it is considered an emergency in my household, as with 3 boys, I use it more than I use the microwave.

At this point, getting additional income is not a luxury anymore, but a necessity. We have almost depleted our savings account. For the past year I have been venturing into various working from home business. It seems like a great idea where I can still look after my kids, and do work in between changing nappies, vacuuming, and disciplining a toddler. None seems to work out as hoped, just yet… but in times like this, the pressure is on. Maybe, my luck is about to change…