Friday, July 2, 2010

Fear of Water

When Malakai was 6 months old, I have decided that one day he will attend a swimming class conducted by a proper swimming instructor.  However, I will not enroll in a swimming class at 6 months old, I thought that I can do the job of introducing water confidence myself, then I will enroll him in swimming classes when he is 3.  Why pay someone for a job I can do myself?!

Little did I realize that 3 years passes by really quickly.   With a set of twins in tow, it is almost impossible for me to take the boys swimming by myself, as it is a struggle to take all three boys swimming even with my husbands help (they are 3.5 years old and 1.5 years old).

So there I was, just a couple of weeks ago, with my  3 years old boy standing by the pool wearing his water wings and his goggles hanging on his neck.  He would not wear his goggles, and would NOT get into the water, and scream when someone accidentally splash water on his face.

Oh, What have I done…?

I suppose,  being only 3 years old instead of 30 would still give him plenty of time to learn life skills.  I am still adamant to teach him water confidence myself and would not push him to do anything he is not ready for.  So I have started with the basics, such as blowing bubbles.  I'll get into the bath with him when his younger brothers are asleep and show him how to do it.
He still would not let his chin touch the surface of his bath water, but he is happy to give it a go in a bowl of water...
That's a start.  Patience...patience...

No comments:

Post a Comment