Saturday, July 17, 2010

Pressure Cooked Bread...?


My quest of becoming a Pressure Cooker queen wouldn’t be complete without at least a successful attempt to “bake” bread in it.   I found a “Couldn’t be easier slow cooker bread” recipe online that was, of course, written for a slow cooker.   Wholewheat flour, wheatgerm, milk, honey instead of sugar, egg; I certainly liked the list of ingredients the recipe calls for, sounds healthy and great for the kids.

I think I probably should try a much simpler brown bread recipe for a first attempt, but I decided to just do this one.   Pressure cooked breads are said to be moist and would not have crust to it, that sounds great for my kids and I am determined to check this out!

I did three attempts to make the bread these past few days.  The first one failed miserably as I didn’t let the bread dough rise before popping it into the cooker.  With the pressure cooker, I find it is important to cover the tin with baking paper / foil so more liquid would not seep in, only let the heat cook the bread.
The recipe said to immediately put the dough into a slow-cooker and cook it for 3 hours, so I tried the same trick, but obviously the pressure cooker cooked the bread within the first 20minutes- so it didn’t have time to rise.  The bread has nice flavor, but it was short, dense, and hard.

The second attempt with the dough, I let it rise to double size as most bread should be before punching it down and putting it in the pan to rise again before finally cooking it.  It turned out to have great bread texture and moist inside.  The sides of the bread (where it touches the pan) is dry and have a bit of crust, but top of the bread was soft.  Beautiful dense thick bread, a slice of it will fill you up.
Yes, the pressure cooker can certainly cook bread in 20 minutes, but it still needs constant attention to the dough in making and the cooking process to keep the pressure stable.

I was excited, the third attempt, I oven baked it to see the difference.  Turns out beautiful with crust, as expected.  The smell of a bread loaf baking in the oven is unbeatable and certainly very inviting.  My boys can not wait for it to come out.

Will I make pressure cooked bread again?  Mmm... Only if I am desperately craving for bread and no available oven…
Actually, I am still curious about trying a basic brown bread in it, but not anytime soon.
For now, I will just head out to the store to get a basic brown loaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment